The Nescopeck Hunting & Rifle Club
The Great Depression began in 1929, however the Berwick area was spared much of the discomfort of the country because of industries, the likes of the ACF, (American Car and Foundry).
The ACF built railroad cars and in 1939 the Berwick plant switched to construction of military tanks. A little more than two years later, on August 2, l94l, the ACF’s 1,000th military tank was completed for the United States military effort of World War II.
This is the era and background of the founders of the Nescopeck Hunting & Rifle Club. The reference to “the Lebo” is a location in Potter County on Lebo Run, part of the right branch headwaters of Young Woman’s Creek. The following text is from a journal as written by these men.
Campsite: Year 1929, J. R. McElrath started out to find a suitable place to build a hunting camp where all the game of Penna roamed. His son Glen, Leon Parker and Joe Maroney went with him. They found the Lebo. Jim talked it over with George Sherman and then organized a club known as the Nescopeck Rod and Gun Club. First to join – Jim McElrath, Glen and James McElrath, George, Wilber and Donald Sherman, Joe Maroney, Harry Yohey, Theo and Harold Waltman and Virgil Hettinger.
Spring of 1930 Jim returned to Lebo with George Sherman, Virgil Hettinger, Theo Waltman and Joe Maroney- They picked out campsite and had it surveyed. Those taking part in the building starting July 3, 1930 were Jim & James McElrath, Geo Sherman, Harold Waltman, Mr. &Mrs. Theo Waltman and children Donald & Gloria, Mr. &Mrs. Harry Yohey & daughter Ruth, Mr. & Mrs. Glen McElrath, Miss Hazel Hudelson and Joe Maroney. The Camp was built on July 4-5-6-1930. Later on 2 new members joined them to complete the building, Roy Kanouse and Mert Kanouse.
Trustees – Preston Mingus, Fred Tregs and T. W. Waltmnn.
(Corporation or ganiryd ) Bought from Melvin and Elizabeth Smith, April 8, 1948.
Late 1946 regular members discussed having a Rifle Range. They asked Mr. Smith if they could use the old National Guard Range. They were willing to rent the ground of the range for $5.00 per year with a five year lease.
The range had to be cleared of brush and trees. Mr. J. R. McElrath donated his truck to haul ties. Heavy frost winter 1947 heaved them out, but the range was rebuilt summer 1948. The club borrowed $200.00 from J. R. McElrath Sr. interest free to be paid in two years.
Nov. 30 1949- The group organized as a NRA Club and incorporated as a non-profit corporation. The charter was received January 27, 1950.
A Rifle Club must first become affiliated with the National Rifle Association before they can receive any aid from the war department through the office of the Director of Civilian
Early part 1949 the members discussed building a
club house 20 X 24. Short on money they finally decided to build a club house and range combined, if only to get walls up and roof on. They solicited hunting club members for enough money for roof. Members came through with the money – interest free for .five years.
• James McElrath Jr. $350.00
• Joe Maroney $275.00
• Hurley Kanouse Sr. $100.00
• James McElrath Sr. $ 50.00
• Virgil Hettinger I 20.00
Cost of building to date $1381 .19
Total $l7l l.l9
It took two years of struggle to complete the club building & range.
1. Chairman of Committees
2. Robert Hart Instructor of Bench Rest
3. George Hess Instructor of Small Bore and Pistol
4. Virgil Hettinger Instructor of Big Bore Rifle
5. Russell Parson Instructor of Blue Rock
6. Elwood Johnson Instructor of Bow & Arrow
1. Preston Mingus
2. H. L. Kanouse
3. Virgil Heninger
4. Richard Beach
5. Karl Edburgh
6. Virgil Hettinger
7. Herrutn Hill
1. Preston Mingus President
2. H. L. Kanouse Vice Pres.
3. Virgil James Hettinger Rec. Secretary
4. Chairmnn & Pres of Club
5. Vice Pres.
6. Fin. Sec. & Treas. Club
7. Executive Officer
9. Fin. Sec. & Treas.
As you can see the inception of The Nescopeck Hunting & Rifle Club goes back over 82 years from a handful of men and their families to an organization of 530 members and is still growing.
love to have it.